Thursday, October 15, 2009

Destination: Cancun! Day 1

By some small miracle we managed to make it to Oklahoma in one piece. What I haven't mentioned to anyone is the lack of sleep I've been experiencing with this pregnancy. I'm usually up and awake for two to three hours every night. It's so annoying. Knowing that we had to wake up at 3:00 A.M. to catch our flight out of Oklahoma City didn't make me very happy. However, I managed to convince myself that I would probably be up at that time anyway. We went to bed around 9:00 P.M. and for the record, let me say that I had the best sleep in weeks on Granny's guest bed! When 3:00 rolled around, Greg had to wake me up. And, since we have the best Granny ever, she got up with us and made us bacon, eggs, and biscuits and gravy!

Now, being the planner that I am, I had it all figured out as to what outfit I would wear for my arrival in Cancun. Unfortunately, the Oklahoma weather didn't cooperate. When we left it was drizzling and freezing! A majority of our group had flown into Mexico the day before, but another couple was on our flight to Cancun so we had a great time visiting before we boarded the plane.

Remember my post about going to the Warren for our anniversary? Well, when we got there I wasn't feeling well and asked for a popcorn bucket in case I was sick. They gave me four. Apparently they really didn't want to clean up someones vomit! Those buckets have now become my security blankets. I carried one with me throughout the entire plane ride. And, miraculously, I wasn't sick on the plane. However, by the time we landed in Atlanta, I was starving and nothing sounded better than a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit from McDonalds. Now, we were supposed to have an hour layover in Atlanta, but I wasn't expecting the size of that particular airport. It was bigger than Lamar! So, to make a long story short, since I was so determined to have McDonalds, Greg and I almost missed our flight. Shyla and Justin were already waiting for us on the plane and she was a little freaked out that we were going to miss it!

The flight to Cancun felt like it only lasted thirty minutes. Having never traveled outside of the country before, I had no idea they made you fill out all kinds of forms on the plane. Then, I wanted to put on my make-up (apparently the guy next to me was absolutely fascinated by this process). Once we arrived, we went through Customs, which wasn't as bad of an experience as I was expecting. Especially since I had a carry-on bag loaded down with snack food!

Finally, we arrived to our van that would take us to the fabulous RIU Cancun Resort. The only thing the four of us wanted to do was: EAT! We attacked the first buffet we found. Once that was finished, the four of us went to Shyla and Justin's room because ours hadn't been cleaned yet. We changed into our bathing suits and went down to join everyone else in the pool.

Now, for most of the trip, the majority of our friends were content in the pool with the swim-up bar. I, on the other hand, wanted to be on the beach listening to the sound of the waves.
The nice thing was that the waiters came down to the beach as well, so I was never without my precious virgin pina colada!

Later in the afternoon Greg went to see if our room was ready. Once I realized an hour or so had passed, I decided to go check on him. Now, I already knew what our suite was supposed to look like since I had been in Shyla and Justin's room. However, when I walked into ours, there were red and white heart shaped balloons hanging beside the bed and the cutest little towel creation I had ever seen.
Greg had already unpacked and hung all my dresses up, and I was in such surprise to see the decor, I asked him, "did you plan all of this?" This is where my husband screwed up. He said, "NO!" as if it were the most ridiculous thing for me to ask him. If he was smart he would have said "Yes, dear, because you deserve the best!" Ha, ha! We all know I live in a fantasy world!

Our resort had so many buffets and in addition to those it also had a couple of restaurants that required reservations. One of which was a Japanese restaurant. Our group had already made reservations for that night but unfortunately they couldn't accommodate all sixteen of us so we went in two groups. Luckily, we went with the 6:00 P.M. group since the next dinner wasn't until 9:00 P.M.
I have always wanted to try sushi but have never known what to try. Part of our appetizer was a huge platter of about seven different types of sushi. Unfortunately, I could only try two since the others had seafood in them. Greg has continued to surprise me recently by his willingness to try new things, so he sampled each piece of sushi and actually really liked the ones with salmon and shrimp. Two years ago that would not have happened!

That night a majority of our group went out. However, we were so exhausted from our busy day that we decided to take in the Michael Jackson tribute show that our hotel was putting on. I arrived with mixed feelings. I'm a theatre and dance junkie so I was excited to watch a show, but I was afraid it was going to be cheesy. I was wrong! It was so good! We had front row seats, and I was happy to sing along with all the Michael Jackson songs I know and love. The only down fall was that my back was killing me. Afterwards we went to our suite and had the best sleep ever on the extra comfy bed!

Stay tuned for Day 2!


Nora said...

Awesome! That sounds like a really good time you had there! I wonder how it will continue... :-) How did you like being in a foreign country? Did you get the "Travel-virus"? lol We,, I'll stay tuned.

PennyCandy said...

So glad you had a great time and that you didn't need the popcorn buckets.