Thursday, January 7, 2010

Just a normal day?

The past few days I've been battling a sore throat and sinus problems. Lots of fun. Around 1:30 A.M. I woke up and absolutely couldn't fall back to sleep. This was in part due to a runny nose and an active little boy in my belly. Since I haven't been sleeping well lately, Greg hasn't either. Because I was wide awake I figured I might as well get up and try not to disturb him. I spent some time in front of the T.V. and reading hoping to get sleepy. I finally ventured back to bed around 4:30 only to be woke up by the blaring alarm clock at 5:45. As soon as I had Greg's breakfast and lunch prepared, back to bed I went. But it took me awhile to fall asleep and when I woke up around 8:45 my growling tummy was the only thing that motivated me to put my feet on the floor.

The rest of my morning proved to be very un-productive. I had a lot to do but no motivation or energy to do any of it. Finally after lunch I told myself I needed to hop to it. I put some CD's in the stereo and blasted it. That seemed to do the trick. My goal for the afternoon was to finish cutting in (you know, painting by brush the parts of walls and along the baseboards that a roller can't touch) the nursery. I didn't want to, but the curtains I bought the day before were strategically laid in the middle of the room to help encourage me. While I was busy painting, I also took several breaks to rotate four loads of laundry from the washer to the dryer to their appropriate closets.

4:00 rolled around and I finally finished the last stroke of my paint brush. I stepped back to admire my work and headed downstairs to our "paintbrush cleaning" bathroom mentally giving myself a pat on the back all the way down to the basement. As I was cleaning out my paint brush in the sink I had visions of me "relaxing" for the remainder of the afternoon since I am still pretty darn exhausted after my lack of sleep the night before, not to mention battling my runny/stuffy nose. That was when I felt it. A wet feeling on my foot. Then I heard it. The sound of gushing water. I vaguely remembered Greg mentioning a leak in the downstairs bathroom. And I remember noticing that the trash can was missing that I assumed he had placed underneath the leak to catch the drips. What I hadn't assumed was that hubby would take the plumbing apart, leaving the trash can to catch ALL OF THE WATER THAT CAME OUT OF THE FAUCET.

Now, keep in mind the task I was performing. I was rinsing out a paint brush. A paint brush I used to paint bright green paint with. Great...this was not the way I had planned the remainder of my afternoon. Somehow, despite my raging pregnant hormones, I managed to remain calm despite all the curse words going around in my head. I managed to pour a little bit of the green water from the trash can down the toilet. The rest I'll let hubby deal with. Then it was off to find the shop vac. You'd think that would have been easy considering it was in our coat closet, which I get into at least once a day. But no, it took me a good 10 minutes to find it. Then, as I was sitting on the floor trying to put the hose on the shop vac (which I can never do very easily for some odd reason), sprinkling myself with dust from the hose, frustrated that on top of everything else I was now going to have to vacuum the spot I was sitting at due to all the dust, the sound of the dryer went off, and that's when I about lost it.

Luckily, deep breaths really help me in situations like this. I closed my eyes, told myself the clothes could wait, and took a few good, long, dust-filled breaths. Then I retreated to the bathroom to suck up all the water I could. Afterwards I used paper towels to dry the areas. As I was drying the inside of the cabinet I noticed the paper towels were coming out black. I prayed it wasn't black mold that developed during the time the faucet was leaking. Then immediately put the thought out of my mind because I just can't handle anything else. I left the shop vac in the bathroom for hubby to deal with.

Next, I took the paint brush and paint container I was using up to the kitchen to finish rinsing out. Realized I still hadn't loaded the dishwasher and the sinks were full of dirty dishes. Cleaned out one side of the sink and proceeded to clean my painting utensils. Only when I finished did I retreat back down to the basement to get the clean clothes and put my final load of laundry in the dryer.

Greg will be home soon, and I know as soon as he sees the dirty kitchen, he'll look at me and ask, "What did you do all day?"


PennyCandy said...

Ah the joys of home ownership. I've had days like the Felicia and if you had the right look on your face Greg won't ask what you did all day.

mom to 3 boys + 1 princess! said...

What a day. Despite the hurdles, you accomplished a lot! I am proud of you for remaining calm because I know I would not have.

Nora said...

Thank you!!!!! Now that was one of the very few days in your life that makes me be grateful for NOT having a husband and a house ;-) *lol* You'll get a mail from me today, maybe that makes you feel better.

Sheila said...

Oh, GOD!
Well, it's one day off the list before Parker is here. Smile and move on.