I have finally discovered my true life's calling! A house sitter! Why haven't I thought about this sooner? I had friends house sit for me in the past and I remember thinking that they would be so excited to house sit for Greg and I. I mean, who wouldn't want to stay somewhere different, for free, with a swimming pool? Sounds like a no brainer to me! But, it wasn't until a few weeks ago that I actually got to experience being a house sitter personally.
As you know, I've spent the last ten months living in a travel trailer. And if you didn't know that, then you probably have no idea who I am, and your just being a nosey blogger. (It's OK, I do it myself sometimes ;).....I'll just have to remember not to post anything too personal!) We are currently "residing" in Lamar, CO and we have met and become friends with several "locals". Well, one of the said locals asked if I wanted to house sit for her one evening. Of course I was first of all honored, because quite frankly, we haven't known each other that long. But of course I said "YES!" Like I said, house sitting has got to be like a free vacation, right?!
And of course, yes, I was right! (for once). I absolutely LOVED house sitting! And here's why:
1. I got to take a normal 15 minute shower!!! (I know you're thinking I'm crazy, but again, I live in a travel trailer, where a normal shower consists of 4 minutes of hot water, and quickly either washing your hair, or washing your body. You can't do both. It's impossible. There is a lovely coin operated shower at our RV park that I frequent about twice a week.) And, there are all kinds of "new" shower gels, foot scrubs, soaps, etc. to choose from! Sweet!
2. I got to "live" in a BASEMENT! Yup, that's right, a true basement!!!! Some of you may think I've gone a little off my rocker, but I'm an Okie...we don't have basements! I am truly fascinated by them and hope to one day have a house with one. It felt so cozy and almost dungeon-like. Perfect movie-watching conditions! Plus, as an added bonus, I felt safe in case of the event of a tornado! (That's the Okie coming out in me again.)
3. There are all kinds of new books, magazines, and movies to browse through. It's better than Hastings!
4. There is a real kitchen! Complete with a normal size oven and dishwasher!!! I could have actually baked a casserole AND some bread in the oven at the same time. Not that I did, since we were only there for one night, but I could have!
5. There was a back yard! So according to my dog, it was a vacation for her as well! She had a huge patch of green grass to roll around in. She was in doggie heaven!
6. When my friend left she said, "Help yourself to any of the food in the house." They had a variety pack of candy bars in the fridge. I mean, it would have been rude for me to not have one.
7. As an added bonus, I got to dog-sit as well! My new furry friend was Lola, a toy australian shepard. Talk about adorable. The only downfall was that she wouldn't cuddle with me as much as I wanted her too.
So, as you can plainly see, house sitting does not get the proper recognition it deserves! And guess what? I was asked to house sit again next week! For 3 whole glorious days! Thanks Courtney! If any friends of mine need a house sitter, I now consider myself a professional. Please don't hesitate to ask! ;)